Hey! Where are you? The 4:30 pm show is sold out. The next one’s at 6:30. Is that too late for you guys?
Oh cool! 6:30 works just fine. We got stuck in a jam, so won’t be able to make 4:30 anyway.
It’s 4:15, and she didn’t bother to tell you she won’t be able to reach in time. You’re upset, but your call-center training enables you to flash a fake smile that “reflects in the voice”. Theek hai. This also gives us some time to catch up before the movie starts.
Coolio. See ya!
What the fuck does coolio even mean? You hate it when people are late. It’s worse when they’re lying. It’s a Saturday, and there’s no traffic on the roads. Must be at home stuffing make up inside the craters on her face. Bitch.
So you decide to pass the time walking around the mall looking busy. So basically, you pull out the phone, scroll up. Scroll down. Then lock the screen. Look up for a few seconds. Repeat.
Before you know it, a grizzly bear impersonating a human being comes running and gives you a(n unwelcome and painfully tight) hug.
You lose your balance and have to grab the railing just to make sure you don’t go free-falling all the way to the basement.
Sorry! I saw you from over there and… How long has it been? I haven’t seen you in ten years, he says, making fart noises from his mouth. Surely you’d remember someone like this!
But unfortunately, you don’t. You have no idea where you know this guy from.
All you can come up with is: You’ve changed a lot! Imagine meeting you here! Small world!
He drags you to a coffee shop, talking about college and how popular you were and how he was always strung out on you but never had the courage to speak to you. Then when you finally talked, you were so nice to him and changed his life so much. Ummm, okay, that’s a possibility. You were pretty popular in college and loads of people had crushes on you.
Remember Neha? I ran into her last weekend. Now you’re bluffing. Seeing as ten women in India out of eleven are called Neha, he must know at least one.
Neha? Which one? Your batch or mine?
Oh. So he’s a junior. Could this be Arvind? He was the only one with fat fingers and a grizzly-bear shape.
The one in my batch.
Oh yeah. Nice girl. Remember how well she sang Sweet Child of Mine at your farewell? Did she finally get married to that Muslim guy she was seeing?
Oh-kay! That’s not how you remember college.
You take a huge gulp from your frappe while you think of what to say next.
So what are you doing these days? Ha! That’s a safe question!
Oh, I opened my own clinic in Rajouri Garden. What about you? Still working at Apollo or have started your own practice like you wanted to?
Wait a minute. Clinic? Now you’re really suspicious because you are pretty sure you didn’t go to med school.
Uhh.. I don’t know how to say this politely, but where do I know you from, again? I think you may have mistaken me for somebody else.
You’re Puja, right?
Excellent. You’re having coffee with a stranger.
Oh, and Aussa says it reminds her of this:
Oh, and while you’re at it, some other people are talking about the cities they live in:
- Alien on the fence | The Bliss of Reality
- Dubai World Trade Center Wedding: Amal & Mahmood | Rima Hassan
- Street lamp hiding in the trees | The Bliss of Reality
- I live in a city (Poem) | A mom’s blog
- Rebuilding the City – where to start | A Teacher’s Blog
- [M.M.X.I.V. 68] Where Chicago and the North Shore Meet | Never A Worry
- The Daily Prompt & Start With We (short story) | The Jittery Goat
- Civilisation | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Making love – the role of the sacred. Civilisation | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- DP Daily Prompt: We Built This City | Sabethville
- S. Thomas Summers: Writing with Some Ink and a Hammer | In the Shadows
- If I were mayor… | Sue’s Trifles
- Once promising, the colour has started to fade. Fast. | thoughtsofrkh
- Ogden Shmogden | Community | WANGSGARD
- San Francisco Twenty Twelve Part One | Greg Urbano
- My beautiful Melbourne | Purplesus’ Blog
- No Place I’d Rather Be | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- DAILY PROMPT: Getting back to nature | cockatooscreeching
- Train journeys | A picture is worth 1000 words
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City- Psychology behind embracing change | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- civilization | yi-ching lin photography
- Daily Prompt: My Town | A Day In The Life
- most cities are | y
- Where I live | Kate Murray
- If I Was A Mayor | Flowers and Breezes
- Spring – A Haiku | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City | Basically Beyond Basic
- We Built This City: Civilization – Cat City | Khana’s Web
- What’s The Word On The Street? Betting Shops, Pawn Shops & Empty Shops… | Steve Says…
- Build Your City | Faith, Life and Compassion
- In My City… | Life Confusions
- Do Pgh Memes Inherently Have To Be Racist, Transphobic and Vicious?
- what of the stories | peacefulblessedstar
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Sitting in a P.A. Haze | Finale to an Entrance
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- 275. Broken City | Barely Right of Center
- We Built This City | melissuhhsmiles
- Home is Where the Art Is | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- College campus (Daily Prompt: “We Built This City, Show Us Civilization”) | Photo0pal Photography
- Hometown – the good, the bad and the ugly | Why is there bread in my Kool-Aid?
- A BIT OF CIVILIZATION | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- False Hope of Spring | Elizabeth Merritt Abbott
- Civilization | The Land Slide Photography
- we built this city | klstar2000
- Cancer Isn’t Pink
- Earthquakes and Civilizations | Cancer Isn’t Pink
- We Built this City | Brain Teaser
- New York: This Dream Isn’t Feeling Sweet | A Sober Head Full Of Confusion
- My Kind of Town | My Author-itis
- Civilization | Photos by Emilio
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City/Civilization | @ The West Gate
- Living on Cape Cod | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Make a house a home | sunny side dreamers
- We Built This City, We Built WordPress | Views Splash!
- My Little Piece of Heaven in the Philippines | Schizo Incognito
- We Built This City: Daily Post | Destino
- Daily Prompt: Of a Civilized Fashion | Born on a Wednesday
- Abusive Courtesy | thejimmieG
- The Flare | THE MARRIED MAN WHO LOVES HIS X
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City: Home: a Village in a Valley | Just Be V
- Grave concerns | thesememorieswhich
- Civilized architecture | Le Drake Noir
- The Dog Denied Service – the Tragic Error of the City of Toronto | thismoonlesssky
- It’s just right | Mindful Digressions
- Daily Prompt: Civilization | That Montreal Girl
- Cheers! | Trucker Turning Write
- Daily Prompt: Suburban Civilization | Lady K’s Lounge
- Daily prompt: Leaving us alone would be good | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- We Built This City (Writing Prompt) | 365 Days of Thank You
- Shirtsleeves and slush | Muddy River Muse
- Waitin’ on a Train | The Shotgun Girls
- Things I love about Cleveland | Hot and Bothered
- We Built This City | Laughing Through Life
- The District – We Built This City | MetaRead360 Small Press presents
- Cityscape | REALITY TO RANDOMNESS
- City of Angels | U Be Cute – Follow the child inside of you…
- Microcosm | djgarcia94
- Daily Prompt: We Built This City | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Police Transit Sweep, Mission Street (Daily Prompt: We Built This City) | The San Francisco Scene–Seen!
- Multan… City of Saints!! | Junaid Naseer speaks…